Alt image
Slapton Parish

Slapton, Devon

Parish Council Website ...

Parish Council Minutes

Minutes will be available once they have been approved by the following Council meeting, one month later. Please visit the Meetings page to view the agenda for the next meeting.

Minutes August 2020

Minutes of the Parish Council meeting held by Zoom video conference on Monday 3rd August 2020 at 7.30pm.

Present: J Hinder (Chair), J McPetrie (V. Chairman), Cllr C Staines, Cllr S Sullock, Cllr I Mitchelmore, Cllr D Murphy, Cllr G Wollacott, Cllr V Mercer.

In attendance: Cllr R Foss.

198-20. Apologies for absence - Cllr J Brazil. Cllr Mr K Widger – No apology.

199-20. Declarations of interest – None.

200-20. Public comment – None.

201-20. Police Councillor Advocate Scheme

    • Police updates have been issued weekly to all Cllrs via the Clerk.
    • If any members of the public have a non-urgent matter they wish to bring to the attention of their Local Policing Team, this can be reported via the Devon and Cornwall Police web-page - https://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/your-area/   / Find your local policing team.

202-20. County & District Councillor reports 

Devon County Council (DCC) report from Cllr J Brazil – None.

District report from Cllr R. Foss: 

    • SHDC acknowledged the specific issue of overnight camping at Slapton beach car park and human waste on the paths as a result of no toilets and are looking to support addressing matters as a priority.  Council officers issued 17 car park fines at 5am during the last week in August and moved on several vehicles. The car park continues to be monitored and the environmental health office is also monitoring for human waste issues. A height barrier is scheduled to be installed as soon as possible to stop very large vehicles parking.  In addition, the re-instatement of toilet facilities is being investigated.  Similar issues are being experienced at Strete Gate with people choosing not to use the toilet block despite these being open.The chair requested the following:
        • That more visible official signs stating overnight parking is not allowed be installed at the car park.
        • That more litter collections be scheduled in the car park to remove regular bags of rubbish that are being left.
        • That SHDC provide a date when the barrier is being installed to help manage parishioner enquiries.
        • That emails sent to SHDC council officials by the Chair could be replied to out of courtesy.
        • Cllr J McPetrie raised if toilets could be prioritised above the barrier as people will not leave their car park space to drive to Torcross or StreteGate.
        • Cllr G Wollacott raised the issue of lack of maintenance of the car park and asked for the pot holes to be filled and the surface made good asap. Actions: - Cllr R Foss to raise all requests with relevant officials at SHDC. - Chair to write to: Chris Brook (Barrier installation), Ian Luscombe (Environmental Health) and Judy Pearce (Leader of SHDC Council), to raise all the above points.
    • The leisure centres at Ivybridge and Kingsbridge are now open. Totnes and Dartmouth remain closed. SHDC are providing financial support to maintain the facilities to help maintain healthier lifestyles.
    • District Council is meeting in September to review the budget and are focussed on maintaining key public services.
    • Cllr D Murphy raised the status of the village shop planning application for additional shop storage as this was not on the SHDC website.  Cllr R Foss to follow up with planning.

203-20. Minutes of the meeting held on 3 July 2020. It was proposed, seconded and resolved that the Minutes be signed by the Chair as a true and correct record.

204-20. Matters in abeyance 

    1. Village flooding issues - Ongoing monitoring. Bi-annual drain cleaning arrangements in place to manage.
    2. Submit Passive Traffic Management Grant application for £500 to District Cllr once requirements identified and approved by all agencies and grant availability advised.
    3. Monument relocation to Strete Gate– Pending update from DCC.
    4. Plastic recycling scheme – Pending update on changes in 2020 parish recycling arrangements.
    5. Village Map – Agreed to delay the reprint until summer.
    6. P3 Scheme – Agree to remove once the scheme is joined.
    7. Safeguarding Training by Ben Leach – Pending lifting of lockdown/social distancing restrictions before proceeding.
    8. Highways Response – No reply to Park and Walk drain ownership / Footpath deterioration between south grounds farm and drains issues outside the FSC. Chased 15-1-20 and 12.2.20. Progress when Highways are operational post pandemic period.
    9. FSC plant/wildlife mowing support meeting – Pending lifting of lockdown/social distancing restrictions.
    10. Village BT K6 Phone box – Resubmit photos of condition of BT Open Reach phone in Dec 2020 and request repainting.
    11. Slapton Line Magazine – Chairs next editorial copy deadline: Review next meeting.

205-20. Planning - None

Decisions (for information only, see SHDC website for more information)

1304/20/FUL -The Milking Parlour Poole Farm Slapton Kingsbridge Proposal: Conversion of former milking parlour to residential dwelling Decision: Conditional Approval.

1907/20/TCA - Rosehill, Sands Road, Slapton, TQ7 2QN Proposal: T1: Clerodendron - Fell and remove. Tree is dying. Decision: No Objection

206-20. Matters for discussion

    1. Covid-19 – It was agreed to defer a hardship grant to local foodbanks to ensure some reserve for Autumm/Winter when the situation is likely to deteriorate.
    2. Council Meetings - Current DALC guidance is to remain operating remote council meetings to ensure safety. NALC guidance notes were shared with the Council on options for future council meetings. It was agreed to budget for a Zoom subscription licence for 2021 to ensure the Council can operate should the pandemic situation not improve and also to enable the Council to operate Hybrid meetings if it chose to do so. It was also agreed given the fast paced Government environment that Extraordinary zoom meetings would be called by the chair to ensure proper governance on urgent matters that could not wait until the next meeting. To reduce the number of official DCC and SHDC emails needing to be circulated by the clerk, it was agreed that Cllrs would subscribe to receive these directly.  Cllr J McPetrie to investigate technology requirements to do this and update the PC at the next meeting. Clerk to circulate the subscribe links for Cllrs to sign up to email notifications.
    3. Blue advisory speed sign installation, Sands Road. Cllr D Murphy and Cllr G Wollacott advised there were 8 potential locations around the village where advisory 20mph zone signs could be placed.  It was agreed to trial x 2 sign locations on Sands Road and monitor their effect. (To Install on the 20mph sign just after the campsite and the ‘park and walk’ sign just before the bottle bank).  Cllr D Murphy to circulate revised artwork for both signs. Cllrs to agree wording by Chair calling an extraordinary meeting on Zoom to sign off the artwork.  The Council agreed a budget of up-to £500 exc VAT for materials and installation for resolution below. Once the artwork is approved, Cllr D Murphy to arrange for a quote to be forwarded to the clerk for the signs and fixings.  Clerk to brief road warden for a quote to install and place order if both materials and installation are within the agreed budget.
    4. Purple Crocus Donation from Dartmouth Rotary Club.  Due to timings and limited resources at SHDC to change the mowing briefs and volunteer social distancing restrictions to plant, it was agreed it was not possible to accept at this time. Clerk to write to Parishioner to update and send thanks and apologies. 
    5. Village Playing Field: To help promote the availability of the playing field, it was agreed that the Chair and Cllr D Murphy produce a poster using the recent photos of the cut field to display at suitable points around the village. 
    6. Village maintenance projects and ongoing work briefs / quotes: 
    • Reported Broken Gutters on the bus shelter – The supplier’s quote of £87.95 was approved. Clerk to brief road warden to undertake the repairs in August.
    • Park and Walk – final laying of the scrapings - It was agreed to under the work after the autumn half term, w/c 2 November 2020. Clerk to brief the road warden to provide a risk assessment and quote as the work may require the pavement to be re-diverted.
    • Relocation of dog waste bins – A new dog waste bin has been provided by SHDC to situate on the dual carriageway post outside the FSCThe Council agreed a budget up-to £150 to install. Clerk to brief the contractor to provide a quote to install and if within the budget to make the installation ASAP given the number of dogs in the village. 
    • Jubilee Bench outside the FSC – It was agreed to add a sign to the bench advising the public to use at their own risk given proximity to the path and unable to social distance. Clerk to produce sign for approval by Council.
    1. Pavement repairs Sands Road – Given there has been no reply from Highways to clerks request to attend a socially distanced risk assessment so the brief cannot be discussed/agreed/quote prepared, it was agreed to escalate this to Cllr R Foss to help progress the request.  Clerk to provide meeting details, chair to issue note.
    2. Lengthsman trial:
        • Leaf collection and composting – Cllr D Murphy still to seek feedback from parishioner offering support. It was agreed to add to matters in abeyance to discuss and agree process for future collections once information provided. Clerk to add to matters in abeyance.
    1. Parishioners correspondence / complaints: Re re-instatement of the dog bin outside the FSC. Refer item 206-20 (f). Clerk to update parishioners on the new bin installation this month.
    2. Website accessibility deadline – The clerk advised that a website Accessibility analysis and report was required for publishing on the website 20/9/20 to meet compliance requirements and also that all documents needed to be in accessible templates from this date. The clerk also raised if the Covid-19 landing page should be moved back to the ‘News’ section of the website now that lockdown was easing. The Council approved a quote from the current supplier of £180 to produce the Accessibility report, £60 for the clerk to attend x 2 SLCC document accessibility courses and £20 to move the Covid -19 webpage.  Clerk to brief the supplier/register for courses.

207-20 Proposals for resolution

    1. Blue advisory speed sign installation, Sands Road. Approve from resolution to install x 2 new blue advisory speed signs on the existing 20mph signs at a total cost of up-to £500 (Signs/ /fittings and installation time). Refer 206.20 (c).

208-20. Clerk’s report

    • To discuss:
    • Website Accessibility deadline 20/2/20 – As per 206.20 (J).
    • DCC / Energy Saving Trust Electric Vehicle Charging Points rural locations rollout scheme. Clerk attended 2 hr seminar 23-7-20. By 2032-35 there is Planned Gvt ban of sale of Hybrids, Plug-ins, diesel and petrol cars. Gvt are accelerating the installation of the UK’s electric charging point infrastructure and DCC are looking for 100 parishes to register interest for ‘Fast on street charging points’ (Stand along by road side, or retro fitting into existing street lampposts), both currently being trialled in Exeter under the Street Hubz pilot. This will enable a bid to be prepared to private investors to secure 2020/21 Gvt funding grant of £20M under the ‘On-street Residential Charge Point Scheme (OSRCS).Costs are £500-£2K per fast on street charge point (4-6hrs/7.3KW in phase 1 – increasing to 22KW next generation) with 75% OSRCS GVT grant contributions available up to £6.5K per charge point. Remaining 25% can be funded by private investment companies. DCC are also looking into community share schemes for the 25% to benefit communities although would not benefit from KW upgrades/maintenance. Grant eligibility criteria: Must have homes with no off street parking, street lighting already installed, Public land available and evidence of ownership, National Grid connection, Pipes and Water surveys, technical drawings, land owned by Councils.  Have requested follow up information to update the Council on when received. The council agreed to invite the scheme contact to a PC meeting on zoom to understand how this would work in Slapton.  Clerk to contact DCC to invite.
    • Forthcoming Village mowing 10th August 2020 – The Council asked of the hedge opposite the FSC and around the village map could be cut at the next mow to enable social distancing and map visibility. The Chair raised if the re-usable sacks had been returned following the collection to the store. Clerk to brief the road warden re cutting requirements and Cllr K Widger re sack return.
    • Clerks annual leave Sept 14th -25th. Skeleton e-mail cover will be in place for urgent matters.

For information only:

    • Replies to Parishioner correspondence:
      • Anti-Face Covering Posters:  The clerk has received a number of complaints from parishioners regarding the posting of anti-face covering masks and has responded. The clerk has also, on behalf of the Council, sent an email letter on 24/7/20 requesting that the PC’s posters are not removed or covered over with this material due to the PC’s obligations to publish GVT public safety campaigns. An approved Council statement of the PC’s position has been posted on the CSG Facebook page.
      • Dog bins – They clerk has replied to a number of complaints re the relocations of the dog bins and advised the situation is being discussed at this meeting and will be monitored
      • Noise Complaint –A complaint has been replied to regarding an exercise class held in the evening at the playing field. The clerk has replied and advised noise disturbance is to be reported to SHDC as outside the PC’s authority.
    • Telegraph Pole No. DP 182 (next to the Bus Shelter) – Loose cable cover reported BT Open Reach 27-7-20. Report ref: WW1HPJOO / 4 hr SLA. Open Reach attended and secured the cover the same day.
    • P3 scheme – Request to register to join the Scheme sent to Ros Davies. 6/6/20.  Ros replied 9-6-20 and advised will issue the P3 Agreement once has access to the County Hall which is closed due to COVID-19 restrictions.  The scheme on hold pending Gvt guidelines on lifting of restrictions.
    • Annual PAT test completed 13-7-20 for the projector.
      • Dog bin relocation.  Still awaiting response from the meeting with the Localities officer 16-6-20 to install a new dog bin location from Play Park to Townsend Cross and reposition the play park bin against the wall in the play park. SHDC are seeking the necessary budget/collection round permissions.
      • Road Warden briefed on the relocation work and quote provide for the Council to approve. SHDC have approved the work under the road warden scheme.
    1. Village Mowing:  6 weekly village Mowing was undertaken on 20th July and the first of the 3 weekly summer mowing of the playing field on 24th June. Photos have been provided of the cut field to help promote the area in the village.
    2. Lengthsmans Trial – 15 re-usable waste sacks have been provided to the lengthsman and marked up property of the PC, pending collection. Future collections will be timed at the end of the last day of the work scheduled on 25th and 26th July.
    3. SLCC legal Update - The Local Government Association (LGA) has drafted the Model Code of Conduct to address one of the recommendations of the Committee on Standards in Public Life (CSPL)’s report of January 2019.  The Model Code is designed to be adopted by both principal authorities and local councils. Code issued to Cllrs23/7/20 to view and reply directly to SLCC with comments.

209-20. Chair’s report 

    • CSG committee update – It was reported the group was still providing email/tel support but no other services due to the lifting of lockdown and shielding but was progressing the Village Archive project which has significant parish engagement.
    • Charity scoping meeting update. It was reported the group were progressing the correct structure and purpose.
    • Response from SHDC re public toilets and fouling around the Ley.  Refer 202.20 minutes.
    • Update on progress of the development of the football Pitch. The Chair had met with Cllr K Widger who confirmed his agreement to developing the football pitch. The Chair is awaiting formal confirmation before proceeding to the next stage. Chair to update at next meeting. 
    • Response from White Close Trust to £200 grant offer. The Council asked for a full review of all correspondence to discuss at the next meeting. Clerk to collate.

210-20. Councillors’ reports

    • Cllr S Sullock – No report
    • Cllr C Staines – Raised the issue of speeding in the village.
    • Cllr J McPetrie – No report
    • Cllr I MitchelmoreRaised he had received positive feedback from parishioners regarding the lengthsmans work. Clerk to relay this to the lengthsman and pass on thanks from the Council.
    • Cllr G Murphy – No report.
    • Cllr V Mercer – No report.
    • Cllr G Wollacott – Raised that a drain had dropped and made the road surface uneven at the top of 5 mile lane and this had been reported to SHDC.

211-20. Financial matters The below payments were approved by the Council.

S/O

£249.00

L. Soothill-Ward, Clerks salary – July 20 (Paid 1/8/20 for noting).

183/20

£11.94

VC Warehouse - CSG tel help line monthly connection cost. Paid 15/7/20 by D. Debit - (Paid for noting S137 code).

184/20

£126.00

Isaac Luscombe - Lengthsman work - 14 hrs on 20th and 27th July as per timesheet.   Queens to Prospect Hill road sweeping / weed clearance. (Paid for noting August Agenda).

185/20

£50.00

Kingsbridge Area Foodbank Donation – Covid-19 crisis support. (Paid 7/7/20 for noting).

186/20

£50.00

Dartmouth Foodbank Donation – Covid-19 crisis support. (Paid 7/7/20 for noting).

187/20

£94.31

Clerks Expenses July 2020 (Refer analysis sheet)

188/20

£139.90

Clerks Overtime July 2020 Refer analysis sheet)

189/20

£245.00

Nick Mathias – Village Mowing 20th July 2020. Invoice 1189/21 dated 14/5/20.

190/20

£75.00

Nick Mathias – Additional Mowing Works 13th July 2020

Playing field interior - 3 weekly mowing.  Invoice 1187/20 dated 13/7/20

191/20

£198.88

Nick Mathias – Dog Bin relocation Works 9 July 2020.

Invoice 1182/20 dated 8/7/20. (Paid 13/7 for noting).

192/20

£12.00

BVEC – Projector Annual Pat Test 13-7-20. Invoice no 6479 dated 24/7/20

193/20

£87.95

Nick Mathias – Bus Shelter Gutter repair 28 July 2020. Quote Q1130/21 dated 8/7/20. Refer agenda item 9F.

    1. Balance at Bank 28/7/2020, £21,832.19.
    2. S137 Covid-19 remaining budget balance at 27/7/20 £700.00 (Included in above Bank balance).
      • Kingsbridge and Dartmouth Food Banks Covid-19 hardship grants. £50 donation paid to each foodbank on 7/7/20. £300 in grants paid to date under S137.
    1. 2018/19 Annual Audit Documents. Clerk to return to PKF LittleJohn by 31/8/20 and post on website. In progress due to workloads

212-20. Date of next meeting – Monday 7th September 2020 at 7.30pm by Zoom conference call.

SIGNED Chair: .........................................

All meeting agendas and minutes can be viewed at www.slaptonparish.co.uk



Minutes | Slapton Parish Council