Alt image
Slapton Parish

Slapton, Devon

Parish Council Website ...

Parish Council Minutes

Minutes will be available once they have been approved by the following Council meeting, one month later. Please visit the Meetings page to view the agenda for the next meeting.

Minutes - Extraordinary Meeting of the Council - 11 January 2021

Present: J Hinder (Chair), J McPetrie (V. Chairman), Cllr C Staines, Cllr S Sullock, Cllr I Mitchelmore, Cllr D Murphy, Cllr G Wollacott. 

In attendance: None 

273-20. Apologies for absence – Cllr K Widger. 

274-20. Declarations of interest – None. 

275-20. Public comment – None. 

276-20. Police Councillor Advocate Scheme Update • Police updates have been issued weekly to all Cllrs via the Clerk. • If any members of the public have non urgent matters they wish to bring to the attention of their Local Policing Team, this can be reported via the Devon and Cornwall Police web-page - https://www.devon-cornwall.pol... / Find your local policing team. 

277-20. County & District Councillor reports - None 

278-20. Minutes of the meeting held on 4th January. It was proposed, seconded and resolved that the Minutes be signed by the Chair as a true and correct record. 

279-20. Matters in abeyance

a) Traffic Speed / Volume Survey. Deferred until spring 2021. Agree dates in Feb 2021. Submit Passive Traffic Management Grant application for £500 to District Cllr once requirements identified and approved by all agencies and grant availability advised.
b) Monument relocation to Strete Gate– Pending update from DCC.
c) Plastic recycling scheme – Pending update on changes to spring 2021 parish recycling arrangements
d) Village Map – Agreed to delay the reprint until spring 2021. Review artwork /stock levels at the Feb 2021 meeting.
e) £750 All-stars Cricket club grant – Agree to hold as ring-fenced reserves until bank account is open. Target date 31 March 2021.
f) Notice Boards – Review situation if more are required given volume of official communications.
g) FSC plant/wildlife mowing support meeting – Pending lifting of lockdown/social distancing restrictions.
h) Village BT K6 Phone box – Photo’s re-submitted on 22-10-20 of paint condition to BT who have advised to resubmit in Nov 2021 as the current condition does not qualify.
i) Slapton Line Magazine – Chairs next editorial copy deadline 15 January 2021. Chair to circulate draft copy for approval. 

280-20. Planning – None 

281-20. Matters for discussion
a. The Councils operational duties and responsibilities for the financial year to the end of the term were discussed and the following working groups were agreed:

  • Village Assets and communications: Cllr S Sullock and Cllr C Staines. It was agreed that Ink and laminating pouches should be ordered as required by the Cllrs and costs submitted as an expenses claim to the clerk.
  • Planning matters and Agricultural liaison: Vice Chair J McPetrie and Cllr I Mitchelmore to lead / engage the PC where appropriate and the planning forms to be circulate to the whole council.
  • Highways and DCC Warden Liaison: Cllr K Widger in liaison with Nick Mathias (Road Warden). It was agreed to carry this working group discussion to next meeting to discuss with Cllr K Widger. Clerk to add to agenda. 
  • Devon Climate Change Rollout: Chair and Cllr G Wollacott. It was agreed to set up a sub-committee with and single focus on climate change given the importance and focus of Gvt on this matter which would consist of parishioners and Trustees from the Evolve village charity with a specific interest. Chair to lead the set-up. 
  • Community engagement / ascertaining and fulfilling the requirements of all parishioners – It was agreed to set up a sub-committee which would consist of parishioners and Trustees from the Evolve village charity. Chair to lead the set-up.
  • Parish communications and Police Cllr Advocate scheme representative. – Cllr D Murphy. Clerk to arrange for Cllr D Murphy to be added to the Police scheme.

Village organisations / PC representation, the following Cllr leads were agreed:
Shop: Cllr D Murphy
Church: Cllr C Staines
Village Hall and Foodbank: Cllr S Sullock
FSC: Chair
AONB: Cllr G Wollacott / Cllr C Staines
Slapton Lines Partnership: Chair / Vice Chair
Evolve Charity: Chair
Campsites: Vice Chair
Pubs: Cllr D Murphy and Cllr I Mitchelmore.

Clerk to update the SPC Cllr Working groups document / Chair to brief the Evolve Charity at the meeting 18/1/21.

b. It was agreed that a longer term, pro-active parish plan was required to ensure that the village remained sustainable and that working alongside the Evolve Charity would help to develop and achieve this. Chair to update Evolve at the meeting 18/1/21 and set up an initial joint discussion meeting with the PC on how to best take this forward.
c. It was agreed to set up and action log to aid the reporting and progression of agreed actions from meetings. Clerk to set up template ahead of Feb meeting and add all the agreed action from this meeting to the log to commence the process.
d. It was agreed to adjust the order of the Agenda items to include the Action Log review as item 7. Clerk to amend.
e. It was agreed that all Cllrs would forward a report paper for their area of responsibility to the Chair 3-4 days ahead of each meeting, nil reports also required. All Cllrs to action following the Feb meeting.
f. It was agreed to update and amend the PC Standing Orders to enable small grants to be provided to the Evolve Charity and for them to attend meeting to update via the working non Cllr sub-committee reporting. Clerk to draft amends for review and resolution.
g. It was agreed that at the March 2021 Annual Meeting of the CSG Committee to resolve to update and amend the CSG Committees Standing Orders to widen the remit to include the Food Bank Collection Point, CSG helpline and volunteer support and a village crisis plan to cover arrangements should flooding, fire, the A379 road and Snow incidences occur to ensure the safeguarding of parishioners. Cllrs Gavin Wollacott to be added to the committee members, J Hinder to remain as Chair, Non Cllr Sue Gorman to remain as CSG lead / clerk to support. Chair to update the CSG at the meeting on 18th Jan. Clerk to draft amends for review and resolution.
h. Press enquiries - It was agreed that if any Cllr received calls for comment on matters from the media they should not engage and advise the reporting that it is the PC’s policy to reply in writing and all questions and the deadline for a reply, should be put in writing to the clerks email address and the Council would reply formally. Clerk to add this statement to the Clerks inbox management statement.
i. Complaints log – It was agreed that all complaints and responses would be recorded in a complaint log and complex, time sensitive complaints, would be forward to the Cllr for the Chair or Vice Chair to reply to directly. Clerk to set up a complaints log.
j. Agree training requirements against DALC 2021 training programme – Carry to next meeting. Clerk to add to the agenda.

Other business matters:

  1. The Council approved of quote for resolution at the next meeting for the Road Wardens Road Work PPE kit at a value of £201.59. Clerk to add to agenda, brief the road warden to purchase and forward an invoice for payment and submit a grant request under the DCC Road Warden Scheme Q4 applications. 
  2. The Council agreed to proceed with a DCC Q4 Grant request to repair the Footpath from the campsite to the beach reference quote from Nick Mathias at £2607.50. Clerk to submit grant request. 

282-20 Proposals for resolution – None 

283-20.  Clerk’s report

  • Shovels for the Grit Bins. The council agree to purchase 6 plastic scoops to be stored in the Grit Bins for voluntary use by parishioners on icy days. Chair to mention in the Slapton Lines Chairs report, clerk to order and distribute. 
  • Dates for Cllr safeguarding training by Zoom. All Cllrs confirmed availability w/c 8th March. Clerk to update training to secure a date. 
  • Annual Parish Meeting - Pending update from DALC on if this would go ahead this year due to the pandemic and in what timeframes if so. 

284-20. Chair’s report – None

285-20. Councillors’ reports – None 

286-20. Financial matters – None

287-20. Date of next Parish Council Meeting: The next monthly parish council meeting will be held on Monday 1 February 2021 at 7.00pm by Zoom conference call.

SIGNED Chair: ...............................


Minutes | Slapton Parish Council